Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Andy Griffith & TV Themes

The death of Andy Griffith has me thinking about TV themes.  The Griffith TV theme is one of the most recognizable.  Surely it ranks Top 10 in TV theme history.  But what about others?  The Golden Age of TV themes disappeared years ago.  Nowadays you barely get a few seconds from a show's theme.  But this wasn't the case back in the day.  You almost got the whole song.

Below is a list, from my memory bank, of TV themes that I always thought were excellent.  Might have missed some.
All of these (I believe) were written specifically for the show, which is why I left off opening songs from the Sopranos, True Blood and even M*A*S*H.

Rockford Files
Magnum P.I.
Hill Street Blues
Mission Impossible
Hawaii 5-0
Happy Days
S.W.A.T.
Laverne & Shirley
Welcome Back Kotter
Barney Miller
I Love Lucy
Honeymooners
Dragnet
Twilight Zone
Barnaby Jones
Monkees
Star Trek
Bonanza
Beverly Hillbillies
Addams Family
Munsters
Gilligan's Island
Batman
Brady Bunch
Partridge Familyt
Jeffersons
All In The Family
Love Boat
WKRP In Cincinnati
Taxi
Dukes of Hazzard
Golden Girls
Cheers
X Files
Courtship of Eddie's Father
Get Smart
Muppet Show
Sesame Street
Friends
Peter Gunn
Miami Vice
High Chaparral
Mary Tyler Moore
Sanford & Son


Add to Technorati Favorites