Monday, July 23, 2012

Downloading.

It started with a post by an NPR intern, who wrote about how she never pays for music.  And then wrote about how she goes about getting it for free.
Then Ex-Camper Van Beethoven/Cracker leader David Lowery responded, telling the woman how wrong she was.

I definitely believe artists should get paid for their work.
When Napster was at its peak, though, I only used it to find forgotten singles.  Ones that never made it to CD.  And I was happy that I found most of what I was looking for.
To me the fault lied with the labels for not putting this stuff out there to begin with.  Had those songs been on CD, I would have gladly paid for it.

And, yes, I have made mixtapes for people.  That's the price I pay for having such a large, diverse collection of music.

Funny thing is, most of those songs are still not available anywhere today:  not on Itunes, Amazon or even on some sort of Import compilation.

So, yeah, try and support your favorite artist.  Buy music legally.  BUT, it there is something you just can't find, then find it anyway you can.

An article about this story, with links is below.


http://www.spinner.com/2012/06/19/cracker-david-lowery-npr-illegal-downloading/
Add to Technorati Favorites