Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Dad at 81

My Dad would have turned 81 today. I've blogged before about how his small, but eclectic record collection shaped my own tastes in music. While he didn't gave any Rock records, he had plenty of Pop, Country and a little bit of Soul.

But he had more Country than others, except for Elvis.  My Dad was born in Pennsylvania, but I don't think that's where he grew to live Country music. Being in the Army, he was stationed in Kentucky in the late 50's and then in North Carolina throughout the 60's until 1971, when we moved to Germany for 4 years.

It was this time in those Southern states that he must have been surrounded by Country music. In North Carolina, I have memories of going to Country concerts by Merle Haggard, George Jones and Charley Pride. All made up a good amount of his LP collection.

So even though he is not here with me physically, he's still influencing me musically spiritually. Whenever I see or hear one of those legendary singers, I thank him for the music.



Add to Technorati Favorites