Sunday, May 08, 2016

Greatest Mother's Day Song

The Greatest Mom Song?  I'm seeing many votes for 2Pac's "Dear Mama".  And I love the Spinners' "Sadie". But my #1 has always been the Intruders' 1973 "I'll Always Love My Mama".

Written by Gamble & Huff along with McFadden & Whitehead ("Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now") it was a minor hit, peaking in the Top 40 at #36 and the R&B chart at #6.

You could say my love of Philly Soul plays a bias in my pick.  But checking out other Best Mom Song lists, I rarely found this listed.

BTW- The Intruders are kind of a forgotten group in the Gamble & Huff stable.  Their biggest hit was 1968's "Cowboys to Girls" (#6 Pop, #1 R&B).  The followup, "(Love Is Like A) Baseball Game" peaked at #26 Pop in the same year.  But their Philly Soul years catalog has other buried gems and is worth checking out.

Here's a link to the single version.  The best Mom Song ever.

"I'll Always Love My Mama" - Intruders
Add to Technorati Favorites