Saturday, March 18, 2017

RIP Chuck Berry (+ My 30 Favorite Chuck Berry Songs)

He was a Founding Father of Rock and Roll.  Part of the first class of Rock Hall inductees.  Along with Leiber & Stoller, Chuck Berry was one of the first great songwriters who wrote the book on Rock and Roll songwriting.
The first time I heard Chuck Berry was in Germany, 1971.  My Dad, who was stationed overseas at the time bought San Francisco Dues, a brand new Chuck Berry album.  Few people have heard this album.  It came out a year before Chuck's big comeback with his only #1 hit, the novelty "My Ding-A-Ling".  For years this was the only Berry album I heard, and "My Ding-A-Ling"  one I remembered hearing a lot, growing up listening to AM Top 40 radio stations.  In light of Chuck's passing I listened to San Francisco Dues again, and while not a classic, it's a fond childhood memory.   Years later when I began to immerse myself in Rock history, I began to understand the impact a Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Fats Domino, Elvis Presley, etc., had on the music I loved at that moment.

Here are my 30 favorite Chuck Berry tracks:
1.  Johnny B. Goode
2.  Roll Over Beethoven
3.  Rock and Roll Music
4.  You Never Can Tell
5.  Maybellene
6.  No Particular Place To Go
7.  School Day
8.  Little Queenie
9.  Memphis, Tennessee
10.  Back In The U.S.A.
11. Sweet Little Sixteen
12. Promised Land
13. Havana Moon
14. Thirty Days
15.  Reelin' and Rockin'
16.  Downbound Train
17.  Bye Bye Johnny
18.  Carol
19.  Too Much Monkey Business
20.  Almost Grown
21.  Nadine
22.  Run Rudolph Run
23.  Around and Around
24.  You Can't Catch Me
25.  Tulane
26.  Let It Rock
27,  Have Mercy Judge
28.  Wee Wee Hours
29.  I Want To Be Your Driver
30.  Bordeaux In My Pirough

Add to Technorati Favorites