Tuesday, July 20, 2021

An Album/Song A Week: "Green Tambourine" - Lemon Pipers

 Let us now praise Bubblegum Pop.  I was just about 4 years old when this song peaked at #1 in February 1968.  It's a Bubblegum Pop mixed with the psychedelic sounds of 1967/68.  And it's super simple and super catchy.  Often cited as the moment Bubblegum Pop hit the big time.  In the same year acts like the Ohio Express and 1910 Fruitgum Co., would hit the charts.  And in 1969 the Archies' "Sugar Sugar" would be the peak of the Bubblegum era.  

When I think back at my very, very young listening habits there is definitely a pattern.  Short, catchy songs caught my ear.  "Hello Goodbye", "Judy In Disguise", "Hello, I Love You", "Yummy Yummy Yummy", and of course "Sugar Sugar".  All are a part of my musical DNA that exists today.  No wonder I became a big fan of Power Pop.  

The Lemon Pipers were a one hit wonder.  Even though the follow-up, "Rice is Nice", is a good song it only got to #46.  I still perk up whenever it shows up on a 60's music channel. No more hits, but they managed to place a song in my early music memories.  For that, I thank them.
Add to Technorati Favorites