Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Music List A Month (May): When I Die: Songs For My Funeral

 Alright, I admit the theme of this month's list is a little alarming.  No, I'm not dying, but I did turn 58 on May 5th.  And after two years of dealing with a world-wide pandemic, and seeing how quickly life can end, thinking about my own mortality is not that far-fetched. 

 This is actually a topic I've thought about for many years.  What would my family write about me in a newspaper obituary?  I've jokingly told them to include two things above all else:  "He was an Elvis Presley fan.  And a die-hard New York Jets fan."  As long as those are there, I'll be happy wherever I end up after death.

 I'm sure many people have seen social media posts on this month's topic.  "What song do you want played at your funeral"?  I've also told my family that only one act should be played.  Of course, Elvis Presley.  But what song?  I've mentioned that it could be a terrible song from one of his forgettable 60's movies, or it could be a classic.  

Thanks to the invention of the Internet, our social media footprints will (hopefully) outlive us all.  I'm sure a family member is checking out my blog and have come across this post.  So, below I'm listing a few songs that my son, friends and especially my wife, will all bring back memories of, well, me.  And, also, of our times together.  These songs will instantly be recognizable to them.  I hope it makes them smile.  And that would be fine by me.

Elvis Presley - Do The Clam
Elvis Presley - If I Can Dream
Elvis Presley - Suspicious Minds
Elvis Presley - Yoga Is As Yoga Does
Gregory Abbott - Shake You Down
Manhattans - Kiss and Say Goodbye
Stevie Wonder - You and I
Stylistics - You Make Me Feel Brand New
Tom Cochrane - Life Is A Highway


Add to Technorati Favorites