Tuesday, June 14, 2022

RIP Joel Whitburn

 Every music fan should own at least one Joel Whitburn chart book.  The first one I bought was in the early 80's, Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits. Which listed all the Top 40 hits from 1955 to that current year. As an American Top 40 fan, that book proved invaluable.  Quite simply, one of my most read books I've ever had.  From there I was hooked.  In subsequent years, I picked up a bunch of Whitburn's Record Research titles.   His once or twice a year update on his new releases was one of the best things I would receive in the mail. 
 These chart books were more than just a run down of titles that appeared on the Billboard charts.  These books are an invaluable resource of music history and facts told through chart stats. They told the stories of music history.  Whitburn also included artist rankings and other stats that made these books an addiction to chart music nerds like me.  In recent years, his company began publishing books on Record World and Cash Box charts.

  Back in 2019 I did a post called Music Critics & The Rock Hall in which I made my case for a Joel Whitburn induction as a non-performer:

Joel Whitburn - He's not a music critic, just the #1 record collector of chart records in the world.  But it's his Billboard chart books that every music critic and chart fan has to have on their shelf.  Before the Internet these books were a must have for radio stations, DJ's, Industry people and chart nuts like me. Actually, even in this Internet era, they still are a must have. 

  I liken Whitburn's contribution to Rock history in much the same manner as Ed & Steve Sabol.  That father & son duo founded NFL Films, which like Whitburn's books, changed the way we watched NFL games.  Their films also played a part in elevating many NFL players, coaches, owners to legendary status. Both are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.  Whitburn should be in the Rock Hall.  A legend. RIP

Also, check out the video below, which was taped in 2005.  A tour of Whitburn's incredible record collection. 
  
Add to Technorati Favorites