Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Indie Sellout's Get A Book

How do you review a book by a band that you're not totally enamored with? That was the crisis I contemplated while looking at a review copy of David Browne's Sonic Youth tome, Goodbye 20th Century. It's not that I hate their music, but I've never gotten behind the critical acclaim for them. I do like Sister better than Daydream Nation and have a soft spot for Goo. But their 90's and beyond stuff I've barely paid attention to. Browne's book is best in the middle when the band is navigating the Indie world of the mid-80's. But it's funny, for a band that is so revered by critics who despise corporate Rock, they went Major in the early 90's and have never looked back. Guitar Hero, Juno, Geffen Records and now a compilation at Starbucks. Selling out to pay bills. If you're a fan, you'll eat up Browne's book. I like 'em at a distance, and this book, no matter how good, hasn't changed my opinion.
Add to Technorati Favorites