Tuesday, February 02, 2021

An Album/Song A Week: "Snowbird" - Anne Murray

Ther routine in the fall of 1970 was alway the same.  My Mom would drive me and my sister to school.  The short drive was always done with the radio tuned to the local AM Top 40 channel.  My sister often sang along to many of the current hits. The same routine would repeat in the afternoon when school let out. The 70/71 school year was big for me because at age six I was finally entering first grade. It was also my last year in the U.S., before my Dad got stationed in Germany.  Those early morning drives were also my first exposure to AM radio music stations.  It wouldn't be far off for me to say that certain songs from that era stand out because I would hear them almost every morning or afternoon in the car. 

One of the songs I remember hearing on those school drives in the Fall of '70 was Canadian Anne Murray's first hit, "Snowbird", which would end up peaking at #8.  I have vivid memories of having that song stuck in my head during first grade class.  That was another early sign that music was going to play a huge part in my life.  But knowing this at age six?  

Murray would go on to have a great career on the Pop and Country charts.  Her cover of the Beatles "You Won't See Me" from 1974 peaked at #8.  It's one of the best Beatles covers, but is somewhat forgotten today.  It's another song that brings back good memories, of the Summer of '74, in Mannheim, Germany.
Add to Technorati Favorites