Sunday, August 04, 2013

Making Music Writers Cringe

Last month on Twitter a music journalist took a couple of shots at Journey.  Yes, that's right.  In 2013, there are still some who are ribbing acts that critics hated in the 80's beyond like Journey.  But it's easy picking when you have followers who feel the same way.

You see, while the consensus was that Journey and other so-called corporate Rock acts were the drivel of the decade, the fans stayed with them.  And then kept buying their records, and then a new era of fans heard their songs and bought their records, much to the disbelief of many of the critics who thought they had buried these acts for good in the 80's (or 70's).

You won't get any of that kind of snark from me.  My own personal list of favorite albums includes ones from Journey, REO Speedwagon, Huey Lewis and many other names that even today makes writers cringe when their names get mentioned.  I grew up listening to AM Top 40 radio.  So, I have a soft spot in my heart for the much-maligned.

I used to respond to every put down of these acts on Twitter and Facebook, but don't anymore. Yet, I'm pretty assured in saying this when it comes to the legacy of the Journey's of the world:  You lost, we won.





Add to Technorati Favorites