Thursday, November 21, 2013

Keeping Up With The Hype

People may wonder why I waste my precious listening time with artists I don't really like.  But I have no problem getting caught up in the hype and with today's streaming options it's easier than ever to hear what other critics are praising or over-praising.

So, wasting an hour of my life listening to a new Eminem album isn't that tough for me.  I'm on record, and one of the few critics out there to say I can't stand his music. Outside of "Stan" or parts of "Lose Yourself", not much else he's done is memorable to me.

But listen to a new album by him?  Before streaming I would have had to buy the damn thing or steal it off the internet.  Not anymore.

But let me get back to my original point.  Many people try to avoid the hype that a Miley Cyrus or Katy Perry or Lady Gaga will bring down on them.  But I've never shied away from it.  A lot of it stems from growing up with AM radio where big name artists were topping the charts but not topping any critics polls.

Keeping up is always a problem, but at least it remains a good one.
Add to Technorati Favorites